Morrison City, Sullivan County: From Possum Creek to Modern Kingsport

Appalachian Community Histories – Morrison City, Sullivan County: From Possum Creek to Modern Kingsport

Morrison City does not announce itself to travelers today. There is no downtown square, municipal building, or city-limit sign marking its entrance. A driver moving through northern Kingsport sees the wide lanes of U.S. Route 23, the traffic along Lynn Garden Drive, the interchange at West Carter’s Valley Road, and the commercial development that has gathered around them. Beneath that modern landscape, however, lies the center of a community that once had its own churches, school, stores, restaurants, barbershop, fruit stands, gathering places, and closely connected families.

Part of the difficulty in recovering Morrison City’s story comes from the fact that it was never incorporated. Records sometimes placed residents under Morrison City, Bell Ridge, Carter’s Valley, Lynn Garden, Tenneva, Fort Robinson, or West View. The Morison family name also appears with one “r,” while the community usually appears as Morrison City with two. A researcher can easily overlook the place unless all of those names are considered together.

Yet Morrison City was real. It existed not only in memory, but in land records, church deeds, cemetery stones, school photographs, federal maps, death certificates, census tables, and the surviving collections of the Archives of the City of Kingsport. Its history begins with an eighteenth-century settler, grew alongside industrial Kingsport, and was eventually divided by the roads that had once helped create it.

Peter Morison and the Waters of Possum Creek

The community took its name from Peter Morison, whose surname was traditionally spelled with one “r.” Long before anyone called the place Morrison City, the Morison family lived near the waters of Possum Creek and the natural gap connecting the Holston Valley with the country north of the future Tennessee and Virginia boundary.

A compiled reference to an October 16, 1779 land warrant directed the Sullivan County surveyor to lay off 200 acres for Peter Morrison on the waters of Possum Creek, adjoining Lewis Whitener. Because Tennessee remained part of North Carolina at the time, the original warrant, survey, and grant would have been created under North Carolina authority. Later deeds and surveys also referred to Peter Morrison’s property as a recognized boundary in the Possum Creek area.

Local tradition remembers Peter Morison as a participant in the Battle of Kings Mountain and commonly states that North Carolina awarded his land in recognition of that service. The chronology creates a problem, since the referenced warrant is dated nearly a year before the October 1780 battle. Peter may have performed military service and may have acquired additional land afterward, but the frequently repeated claim that the 1779 tract was a reward for Kings Mountain service cannot be accepted without further documentation. The original warrant, grant, military records, and later deeds would be needed to settle the question. Local accounts nevertheless consistently identify Morison as the pioneer whose family gave the community its name.

The earliest settlement was sometimes remembered as Flatwoods. The name described a relatively level area near the state-line gap, where pine timber once covered the land surrounding the Morison homeplace. Carter’s Valley stretched through this border country, linking communities in Scott County, Virginia, with settlements extending westward through Sullivan and Hawkins counties in Tennessee. Roads following the valley and passing through the gap made the Morison property part of a much larger Appalachian travel corridor.

Morrison Chapel and the Old Burial Ground

The most enduring connection between the Morison family and the later community is Morrison Chapel. The church and its cemetery became spiritual and geographic anchors for the neighborhood, even as roads, homes, and businesses changed around them.

A locally preserved transcription states that George W. Morrison, a descendant of Peter Morison, gave property to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1851. The deed reportedly described a church building already standing there and explained that the gift was made because of Morrison’s affection for the Methodist congregation. If the transcription accurately reflects the original deed, organized worship had probably begun on the property before the formal transfer. Membership associated with the congregation was recorded by the late 1850s.

The old Carter’s Valley Road once passed between the church and cemetery. Generations of the Morison and Morrison families were buried there, along with other families whose lives became tied to the chapel, school, farms, and crossroads. The cemetery continued to preserve the older spelling of the family name even as the surrounding community became Morrison City.

The Archives of the City of Kingsport holds unusually valuable evidence of the chapel’s history. The Kenny Stallard Collection contains material identified as “Cemeteries of Morrison City, Morrison Chapel Webb,” as well as a photograph of Morrison Chapel Methodist Church. The archival description states that the photographed building was erected in 1898 and burned on January 27, 1963. That photograph provides direct evidence of the church that served the community before the fire and the later rebuilding of the congregation.

The First Broad Street United Methodist Church History Collection also contains a folder devoted to Morrison Chapel United Methodist Church, together with Holston Conference journals and research concerning early Methodist congregations in Sullivan County. These records may preserve membership lists, church programs, correspondence, building information, and details of the 1963 fire that are not available in published histories.

Bell Ridge and the Schoolhouse Bell

If Morrison Chapel represented the community’s religious center, Bell Ridge School became one of its most important public institutions. Its history reached back through several buildings and generations of children.

A history compiled during the twentieth century by Mrs. Bert Mays, using the memories of Thomas Galloway and Emory Larkin, identified an early school called Quagmire. It reportedly occupied a former log dwelling on boggy ground near the road toward Lynn Garden. The first building formally known as Bell Ridge was constructed in 1888. Its name came from the ridge where it stood and the large bell hanging in its tower.

That first Bell Ridge school was a one-room frame building approximately thirty by forty feet. Students sat on long log seats and wrote on slates, while drinking water was carried from a nearby spring and shared from a common dipper. School terms lasted only a few months, and children walked from communities that included West View, Lynn Garden, Tranbarger Hollow, Parker’s Chapel, Bear Town, and Cloud’s Ford. Enrollment could reach fifty or sixty pupils, although attendance varied because of distance, weather, farm work, and the absence of compulsory attendance laws.

The school burned during a high wind on November 1, 1905. Teacher Edgar Galloway and his students reportedly carried the seats and other furnishings from the building before it was consumed. A replacement opened in 1906, and another building followed in 1923. The Bell Ridge Parent Teacher Association was organized in September 1933, and the first portion of the later brick school opened in 1937. Additions gradually enlarged the building as the surrounding population increased.

The photographic record confirms Bell Ridge’s importance. The David Peirce Collection at the Archives of the City of Kingsport contains several images of the school, including one labeled “Bell Ridge Elementary School Morrison City Mr. Otis Stair, principal,” another identified simply as “Bell Ridge Elementary School,” and a photograph of Bell Ridge basketball players. Peirce’s photographs preserve the faces of students and teachers who otherwise might survive only as names in family records.

Bell Ridge served as more than a classroom building. School programs, athletic events, parent meetings, elections, friendships, and courtships made it a gathering place for the wider neighborhood. The county eventually closed the school, and the property passed into private religious use, but the surviving building remains one of the most visible physical reminders that Morrison City once possessed a distinct civic life.

Industrial Kingsport Spreads North

For generations the area around Morrison Chapel and Bell Ridge remained primarily agricultural. Families farmed the valley, harvested timber, operated small mills, and relied upon country stores for goods that could not be produced at home. Morrison City as remembered by twentieth-century residents emerged only after the rapid industrial development of Kingsport.

Modern Kingsport was incorporated in 1917 as a carefully planned industrial city. Its promoters attracted manufacturers by emphasizing railroad access, nearby natural resources, available land, and a growing labor force. Tennessee Eastman began operations in the 1920s and became the city’s largest employer during the Great Depression. While many American communities contracted during the 1930s, Kingsport continued to grow.

Employment at Tennessee Eastman, Kingsport Press, textile mills, glass plants, and other industries drew workers from the surrounding mountains and valleys. Kingsport’s population rose from 5,692 in 1920 to 11,914 in 1930, then continued growing through the Depression. Housing demand spread beyond the city’s planned center into neighboring unincorporated communities.

Morrison City became one of those communities. Its location north of Kingsport allowed industrial employees to live outside the city while remaining within traveling distance of factories and businesses. Farms were divided into house lots, new roads appeared, and the old rural crossroads gradually became a residential and commercial village during the 1930s and 1940s.

This transformation did not erase the earlier community. Instead, the new neighborhood formed around institutions already present. Morrison Chapel remained active, Bell Ridge expanded, old families lived beside newcomers, and Carter’s Valley Road continued to carry traffic through the settlement.

Tenneva, Echo Drive, and Lynn Garden Drive

Morrison City developed where Carter’s Valley Road crossed the route between Kingsport and Gate City. That north-to-south road shifted several times, and each new alignment altered the community around it.

Tenneva Street was one of the earlier routes. Its name combined Tennessee and Virginia, an appropriate choice for a road leading toward a community that crossed social and commercial boundaries even when the legal state line remained fixed. Echo Drive later followed another alignment, while Lynn Garden Drive became the major north-to-south commercial route.

The location of Carter’s Valley Road also changed. Local memory credited Emory Larkin with helping lay out a newer road along the valley floor in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The relocation opened additional land for houses and businesses near the crossroads. Stores, churches, service businesses, and restaurants appeared as traffic increased and industrial Kingsport expanded toward the north.

Each road represented a different stage in Morrison City’s growth. Tenneva belonged to the compact crossroads village. Lynn Garden Drive belonged to the era of faster automobiles, four-lane highways, and businesses designed to attract passing motorists. The final U.S. Route 23 construction would not merely redirect customers. It would remove much of the old community center.

A Population the Census Could Not Separate

The federal census recognized Morrison City, but even its figures show how difficult it is to define the community’s boundaries.

In 1950 the Census Bureau grouped Morrison City with Lynn Garden, West View, and Fort Robinson as a single unincorporated place. The final census table recorded 8,627 people for the combined area. That figure has sometimes been repeated as though Morrison City alone had more than eight thousand residents, but the census did not provide a separate count for the community.

The combined designation reveals how federal officials viewed northern Kingsport at midcentury. Several older communities had grown together into an increasingly urbanized district, yet they remained outside a single incorporated municipality. Residents still understood the differences between Morrison City, Bell Ridge, West View, Lynn Garden, and Fort Robinson, even when government tables placed them under one heading.

Other public records continued to use the Morrison City name more specifically. Tennessee death certificates identified people as residents of “Morrison City, Sullivan, Tenn.” and recorded Morrison Chapel in Morrison City as a burial location. Such documents demonstrate that Morrison City functioned as a meaningful address and community identity, even without legal incorporation.

Churches, Stores, and Life at the Crossroads

By the middle of the twentieth century, Morrison City had become a busy neighborhood shaped by churches, schools, family businesses, and daily travel between home and work.

State Line Baptist Church was organized near Bell Ridge, while Morrison City Mission occupied a site along Tenneva. Local tradition holds that the mission was constructed in the 1930s partly to prevent the licensing of alcohol sales near the community. Whether every detail of that story can be documented, it reflects the strong influence that local congregations exercised over neighborhood life. A tent revival during the Second World War also contributed to the formation of a Free Will Baptist congregation along West Carter’s Valley Road.

The business district included W. D. Sensabaugh’s store near Tenneva and Carter’s Valley Road, Lee’s Barber Shop, Parker’s Grill, fruit stands, monument businesses, and other small commercial establishments. Bassett’s Dairy Bar later operated near East Carter’s Valley Road and Lynn Garden Drive. These were modest businesses, but together they gave residents places to purchase groceries, eat, receive services, exchange news, and meet neighbors.

Water service arrived through the Tenneva Water Works around the middle of the century, another sign that Morrison City had moved beyond its older rural character. Houses stood closer together, children walked or rode to Bell Ridge, church bells and school activities marked the calendar, and automobiles carried residents south toward Kingsport’s industries.

Morrison City also extended socially across the Virginia line. Some residents north of the boundary were described by telephone or utility services as living in Morrison City, Virginia, although they remained Virginia residents. The state-line location encouraged businesses that served customers from both states and took advantage of differences in taxes and commercial laws. The community was therefore not simply a Tennessee suburb. It was a borderland settlement whose daily life moved back and forth through the natural gap.

When the Roads Moved

The same transportation routes that helped create Morrison City eventually weakened its center.

When traffic shifted away from Tenneva toward Lynn Garden Drive, older businesses lost the steady flow of customers that had sustained them. New roadside establishments appeared along the newer highway, while the traditional crossroads became less important.

The most destructive change came with the construction and relocation of U.S. Route 23. Property was acquired for the new highway during the 1970s, and the project cut through the heart of the community. Houses were demolished or moved. Businesses disappeared. Morrison City Mission and an Apostolic congregation relocated. The old network of streets and gathering places was broken apart by wide lanes, ramps, barriers, and highway embankments.

The road project did not destroy every building, but it damaged the relationships that had made Morrison City recognizable as a place. A store could be rebuilt elsewhere, and a congregation could construct another church, yet the new buildings did not recreate the old crossroads. Residents were dispersed, familiar travel patterns changed, and the community’s commercial center was replaced by asphalt.

Bell Ridge School survived the highway changes but later closed as a county school. Morrison Chapel continued beside its cemetery, preserving a direct connection with the Morison family and the earliest settlement, but much of the surrounding neighborhood no longer resembled the place remembered by residents of the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.

Finding Morrison City on the Map

Historic maps allow the vanished community to be reconstructed more clearly than the present landscape permits.

The 1959 U.S. Geological Survey Kingsport quadrangle was surveyed before the later highway construction transformed the area. At a scale of 1:24,000, it records Morrison City, Bell Ridge, roads, churches, schools, streams, and the Tennessee and Virginia boundary. Comparing that map with later editions reveals how U.S. Route 23 and its connecting roads altered the older street pattern.

Aerial photographs can provide an even more detailed view. Images taken before highway construction may show the locations of homes, church buildings, school grounds, commercial lots, and the original alignments of Tenneva, Echo Drive, Lynn Garden Drive, and Carter’s Valley Road. Right-of-way maps and highway appraisal files may preserve the names of owners and tenants whose properties were acquired, as well as photographs of buildings before demolition.

The Muriel C. Spoden Collection at the Archives of the City of Kingsport is another major source. Its eighty-eight boxes contain maps, photographs, land research, genealogical material, field notes, newspaper clippings, and working files used in the preparation of Sullivan County histories. One folder is specifically identified as “Boat Yard & Kingsport Area, Morrison Photos.” These materials may preserve scenes and structures that disappeared before most residents recognized the need to document them.

A Community That Survives in Fragments

Morrison City did not vanish in a single day. Its disappearance happened gradually as one road replaced another, farms became subdivisions, businesses followed traffic, schools consolidated, churches relocated, and residents moved away.

What remains is scattered. The Morrison Chapel Cemetery preserves names reaching back to the pioneer period. The church continues the religious history of the property. The former Bell Ridge School recalls generations of students. Photographs in the Kingsport Archives preserve children standing in rows, church buildings before fires, and landmarks before highways reshaped the valley. Census schedules, death certificates, deeds, school-board minutes, newspapers, and maps preserve smaller pieces of the story.

Morrison City’s history also survives in memory. Former residents remember the bell at the school, the stores along Tenneva, meals at Parker’s Grill, fruit stands beside the road, services at neighborhood churches, and the moment when construction equipment began removing familiar buildings.

The modern highway made northern Kingsport easier to cross, but it made old Morrison City harder to see. Travelers now pass through the community in minutes, often without knowing that a village once stood beneath and beside the road. Its story is a reminder that Appalachian communities do not always disappear because everyone leaves. Sometimes they disappear because the roads arrive, the boundaries shift, and the name slowly falls from common use.

Morrison City remains part of Sullivan County’s landscape, even when the landscape no longer carries its name.

Sources & Further Reading

Archives of the City of Kingsport. David Peirce Collection, 1950-1968. KC Manuscript Collection 258. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/david-peirce-collection-kcmc-258/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. First Broad Street United Methodist Church History Collection, 1949-1987. KC Manuscript Collection 335. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/first-broad-street-united-methodist-church-history-collection-1949-1987/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. Homecoming ’86 Oral History Collection, ca. 1917-1992 and undated. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/homecoming-86-oral-history-collection-c-1917-1992-and-undated/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. Kenny Stallard Collection, ca. 1877-1986. KC Manuscript Collection 269. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/kenny-stallard-collection-c-1877-1986/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. Kingsport Board of Mayor and Aldermen Agenda Packets and Minutes, 1917-1954 and 1992-Present. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/kingsport-board-of-mayor-and-alderman-agenda-packets-and-minutes-1917-1954-and-august-18-1992-ongoing/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. Kingsport Public Library Palmer Room Collection, 1890-1977 and undated. KC Manuscript Collection 169. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/kingsport-public-library-palmer-room-collection-kcmc-169/

Archives of the City of Kingsport. Muriel C. Spoden Collection, 1800-2000. KC Manuscript Collection 516. Kingsport, Tennessee. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/muriel-c-spoden-collection-1800-2000/

Holt, Albert C. “The Economic and Social Beginnings of Tennessee.” Tennessee Historical Magazine 7-8, 1921-1923. https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/42637475.pdf

Kingsport Public Library and Archives. “Genealogy and Local History.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/genealogy-and-local-history/

Kingsport Times-News. Kingsport, Tennessee. Historical issues available through the Kingsport Public Library’s newspaper microfilm collection and NewspaperArchive. https://timesnews.net/

National Archives and Records Administration. “1950 Census.” Washington, DC. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://1950census.archives.gov/

Scott, Brad. “Disappearing Towns: Morrison City.” By the Waters of Possum Creek, April 3, 2012. https://drbrop.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/disappearing-towns-morrison-city/

Scott, Brad. “Remembering the Schoolhouses Known as Bell Ridge in the Morrison City Area of North Kingsport, Tennessee.” By the Waters of Possum Creek, January 31, 2020. https://drbrop.wordpress.com/2020/01/31/remembering-the-schoolhouses-known-as-bell-ridge-in-the-morrison-city-area-of-north-kingsport-tennessee/

Spoden, Muriel C., comp. Historic Sites of Sullivan County. Kingsport, TN: Sullivan County Historical Commission and Associates, 1976. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/muriel-c-spoden-collection-1800-2000/

Spoden, Muriel C. Kingsport Heritage: The Early Years, 1700-1900. Kingsport, TN: Netherland Inn Association, 1991. https://www.kingsportlibrary.org/finding_aids/muriel-c-spoden-collection-1800-2000/

Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism. “Archives and Tourism of Sullivan County.” Blountville, Tennessee. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sullivancountytn.gov/archives-and-tourism/

Sullivan County Department of Education. “Board of Education and Minutes Archive.” Blountville, Tennessee. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.sullivank12.net/board/

Sullivan County Register of Deeds. “Register of Deeds of Sullivan County.” Blountville, Tennessee. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sullivancountytn.gov/register-of-deeds/

Tennessee Department of Transportation. “GIS Mapping and Support.” Nashville, Tennessee. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.tn.gov/tdot/long-range-planning-home/longrange-data-visualization/gis-mapping-and-support.html

Tennessee State Library and Archives. “Early North Carolina and Tennessee Land Grants at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.” Nashville, Tennessee. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sos.tn.gov/tsla/guides/early-north-carolina-tennessee-land-grants-at-the-tennessee-state-library-and-archives

Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tennessee Virtual Archive. Tennessee Death Records and Other Digitized State Collections. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/

United States Bureau of the Census. 1950 Census of Population. Volume 1, Number of Inhabitants, Tennessee. Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office, 1952. https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1950/population-volume-1/vol-01-45.pdf

United States Geological Survey. EarthExplorer. Historical Aerial Photographs, Satellite Imagery, and Map Products. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

United States Geological Survey. Kingsport, Tennessee-Virginia. Historical Topographic Map, 1:24,000. Surveyed 1959. USGS Store Product 94583. https://store.usgs.gov/product/94583

United States Geological Survey. TopoView: Historical Topographic Map Collection. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/

Author Note: Morrison City is one of many Appalachian communities whose identity survived even after roads and development transformed its physical landscape. I hope this history encourages former residents and descendants to preserve their photographs, documents, and memories before more is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top