Cumberland, Harlan County: Poor Fork, Coal Commerce, Sanctified Hill, and the Long Life of a Mountain Town

Appalachian Community Histories – Cumberland, Harlan County: Poor Fork, Coal Commerce, Sanctified Hill, and the Long Life of a Mountain Town

Cumberland’s story starts before it carried that name. Local historical summaries and the city’s own public history trace the place back to settlement along the Poor Fork, where the river, narrow valley floor, and steep mountain walls set the terms of life from the beginning. In local memory, it was first Poor Fork, a name tied to the river branch and the thin agricultural promise of the ground around it. By the 1920s, the community had taken the name Cumberland, marking a shift from isolated river settlement to a more formal town in the upper Harlan County corridor.

That geography matters because Cumberland was never just another coal camp. It sat in a strategic valley near the mining country that would make eastern Harlan County famous, but it also occupied a position where commerce, transport, and public life could gather in ways that nearby company towns did not always allow. The same mountains that constrained growth also concentrated movement. Roads, rail lines, creeks, and people all had to pass through a small number of workable corridors, and Cumberland became one of the most important of them on the Poor Fork.

A Town Built by Coal, but Not Owned by One Company

The deeper making of Cumberland belongs to the coal era. Kentucky Geological Survey records from the early twentieth century show just how intensely the Poor Fork and Clover Fork country was being studied as a coal field, with James M. Hodge’s 1912 and 1916 reports devoted specifically to the region drained by those forks and to the coals of Clover Fork and Poor Fork in Harlan County. Those reports remind us that Cumberland’s rise was tied not merely to one mine or one operator, but to a much larger extractive landscape whose economic energy needed surveyors, rail access, merchants, depots, and service centers.

What made Cumberland especially important was that it developed as a commercial center beside, rather than fully inside, the corporate logic of Benham and Lynch. Tri-Cities Main Street’s historical overview still preserves that distinction clearly, noting that Cumberland’s businesses were privately owned, unlike Benham and Lynch, where the coal companies owned the town economy more directly. That difference helps explain why Cumberland’s downtown mattered so much. It was the place where the coalfield met independent trade, where miners and families could move beyond the company store model into a broader marketplace of banks, shops, services, and civic life.

The National Register record captures that boom era in unusually direct terms. Kentucky’s National Register finding aid identifies the Cumberland Central Business District as a Harlan County district listed on March 14, 1996, with a period of significance from 1911 to 1930 and areas of significance in industry and commerce. The district’s boundaries, roughly bounded by Freeman Street, Huff Drive, the Poor Fork, Cumberland Avenue, and West Main Street, preserve the footprint of the town’s most important early commercial buildout.

The federal paper trail shows that preservation status was not a local myth added later. A Federal Register notice in February 1996 listed Cumberland Central Business District among the pending National Register nominations, and the National Park Service weekly list then recorded it as listed on March 14, 1996. That sequence matters because it confirms that Cumberland’s downtown was recognized at the national level not simply as old, but as historically significant because it embodied the commercial and industrial world created by the eastern Kentucky coal boom.

Reading the Town Through Maps and Newsprint

By the late 1920s, Cumberland had become enough of a regional center to support its own newspaper identity. The Library of Congress records The Tri-City News as beginning publication on March 15, 1929, in Cumberland, published by J. P. Freeman, and serving the tri city orbit that linked Cumberland, Benham, and Lynch. That title alone tells us something important. Cumberland was not merely a stop in the mountains. It was a place from which the surrounding district could be named, narrated, and argued over week after week.

The Library of Congress record for Cumberland’s August 1949 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map offers a second way of seeing the town. The LOC lists the map as a seven sheet Sanborn devoted specifically to Cumberland. Even without the full sheets online, that bibliographic record is revealing. It points to a town dense and intricate enough to warrant block by block fire insurance mapping well into the mid twentieth century, which is exactly what one would expect from a commercial center serving a broader coalfield population.

Together, the newspaper and the Sanborn record suggest a Cumberland that was bigger than its municipal footprint. It was a trade town, a services town, and a town of regional habits. People came there to buy, read, gather, transact, and pass through. In eastern Harlan County, where so many settlements were shaped by single employers, Cumberland’s public life was instead built from many storefronts, many owners, and many kinds of daily business.

Water, Hillsides, and the Price of the Landscape

Yet Cumberland’s geography never stopped exerting pressure. The U.S. Geological Survey maintains a monitoring location at Poor Fork at Cumberland, a reminder that the town’s river setting has long demanded measurement and vigilance. Federal flood administration records reinforce the same point. The 1977 Flood Insurance Study for the City of Cumberland was conducted by the Army Corps of Engineers, Nashville District, for the Federal Insurance Administration, showing that by the 1970s Cumberland’s floodplain was already the subject of formal federal technical scrutiny.

The mountains were just as consequential as the water. The U.S. Geological Survey’s 1973 report, The landslide at Cumberland, Harlan County, Kentucky, stands as a Cumberland specific federal record of slope instability and disaster. Read beside the flood study, it makes clear that Cumberland’s setting offered both opportunity and danger. The valley that helped create a commercial center also left homes, streets, and neighborhoods exposed to floodwater below and unstable ground above.

Sanctified Hill and the Unequal Burden of Disaster

No part of Cumberland’s history shows that more painfully than Sanctified Hill. The Notable Kentucky African Americans Database identifies Sanctified Hill as a Cumberland Black community whose families lost homes and investments in the 1972 mudslide. Jillean McCommons’s study of the disaster adds the human scale, describing how residents were ordered to evacuate, how homes cracked and slid, and how seventeen families ultimately saw their houses declared permanently uninhabitable. The disaster was not only geological. It exposed the unequal ways infrastructure, insurance, and public protection had been distributed in town.

That chapter belongs near the center of Cumberland’s history, not at its margins. Too many mountain town narratives lean so heavily on coal, storefronts, or nostalgia that they treat Black neighborhood history as secondary. Sanctified Hill does not allow that. It forces a fuller account of Cumberland, one that includes homeownership, exclusion from services, disaster vulnerability, and the long struggle over who was allowed stable ground in an Appalachian town.

A New Institutional Life

Cumberland’s later history also includes reinvention. Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College identifies Cumberland as its original campus, opened in 1960, and notes that the campus houses the Godbey Appalachian Center Theatre and archives. Tri-Cities Main Street likewise marks 1960 as the year Cumberland became home to the college. That matters because it shows the town developing a postwar identity not only through extraction and trade, but through education, archives, performance, and regional heritage work.

This educational presence helped extend Cumberland’s life after the first great coal boom had passed. A town once defined by its place in the commercial orbit of the mines also became a place where the region’s memory could be studied, staged, and preserved. In that sense, the college did more than occupy space. It became part of Cumberland’s second historical vocation, as a keeper of Appalachian culture as well as a product of Appalachian industry.

Preservation and the Long Memory of Downtown

By the late twentieth century, Cumberland’s historic identity had become formalized through preservation. The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation’s Preserve America profile notes that Cumberland, once known as Poor Fork, became an important coal mining center and that its central business district was added to the National Register in 1996. What preservation recognized was not simply architectural survival. It recognized that Cumberland had played a distinct role in the upper county, as an independent downtown in a landscape otherwise dominated by company towns and industrial extraction.

That is why Cumberland remains one of the most revealing towns in Harlan County. It is a place where early settlement, coal geology, rail era commerce, Black community history, environmental hazard, education, and preservation all meet in one narrow mountain valley. To write Cumberland only as a coal town is too small. To write it only as a historic district is too neat. Cumberland’s real history lies in the tension between those things, between commerce and hardship, independence and dependency, memory and damage. That is what gives the town its staying power in the historical record, and that is what still makes it worth studying.

Sources & Further Reading

Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. “Cumberland, Kentucky.” Preserve America Community. Accessed March 17, 2026. https://www.achp.gov/preserve-america/community/cumberland-kentucky.

Davies, W. E. The Landslide at Cumberland, Harlan County, Kentucky. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 73-55, 1973. https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr7355.

Federal Register. “National Register of Historic Places; Pending Nominations.” Federal Register 61, no. 39 (February 27, 1996). https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-1996-02-27/pdf/96-4305.pdf.

Harlan County Clerk Office. “Records.” Accessed March 17, 2026. https://harlan.countyclerk.us/records/.

Harlan County PVA. “Property Record Search.” Accessed March 17, 2026. https://www.qpublic.net/ky/harlan/search.html.

Harlan Daily Enterprise. “Harlan County – Heritage Edition.” Morehead State University, February 28, 1984. https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/kentucky_county_histories/101/.

Hodge, James M. The Coals of the Clover Fork and Poor Fork of Harlan County, Kentucky. Kentucky Geological Survey, 1916. https://kygs.uky.edu.

Library of Congress. “Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Cumberland, Harlan County, Kentucky.” August 1949. https://www.loc.gov/item/sanborn03153_002.

Library of Congress. “The Tri-City News (Cumberland, Ky.) 1929-Current.” Accessed March 17, 2026. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn86069889.

National Park Service. National Register of Historic Places – Single Property Finding Aid, Kentucky. Entry for “Cumberland Central Business District,” listed March 14, 1996. https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorage/lz/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_KY/SPFindAid_KY.pdf.

National Park Service. Weekly List 1996, National Register of Historic Places. Entry for “Cumberland Central Business District.” https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalregister/upload/weekly-list-1996-national-register-of-historic-places.pdf.

Pack Horse Library, Harlan County. “Harlan County – Place Names.” Morehead State University, 1950. https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/kentucky_county_histories/207/.

Rennick, Robert M. “Harlan County – Place Names.” Morehead State University, November 22, 2016. https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/rennick_ms_collection/76/.

Rennick, Robert M. “Harlan County – Post Offices.” Morehead State University, 2004. https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/kentucky_county_histories/391/.

Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College. “Campuses.” Accessed March 17, 2026. https://southeast.kctcs.edu/about/campuses/index.aspx.

United States Federal Insurance Administration. Flood Insurance Study: City of Cumberland, Kentucky, Harlan County. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 1977. https://books.google.com/books/about/Flood_Insurance_Study.html?id=S3M0wT6fADgC.

U.S. Geological Survey. “Monitoring Location: Poor Fork at Cumberland, KY (USGS-03400500).” Accessed March 17, 2026. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/03400500/.

Wagner, Thomas E., and Phillip J. Obermiller. African American Miners and Migrants: The Eastern Kentucky Social Club. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2004. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/j.ctt1xcjx8.

Works Progress Administration and Historical Records Survey. “Harlan County – General History.” Morehead State University, 1936. https://scholarworks.moreheadstate.edu/kentucky_county_histories/32/.

Author Note: This article follows Cumberland through the records that survive best, from maps and newspapers to preservation files, flood studies, and Black community memory. I wanted to treat Cumberland not just as a coal town, but as a place where commerce, race, landscape, and survival all shaped the town’s history.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top