Cedar Grove East, Sullivan County: Schools, Churches, Cemeteries, and Community Memory

Appalachian Community Histories – Cedar Grove East, Sullivan County: Schools, Churches, Cemeteries, and Community Memory

Cedar Grove was never an incorporated town with a courthouse, commercial district, or municipal government. It was one of the many rural Appalachian communities whose boundaries were understood by the people who lived there but were rarely defined in official records.

The clearest surviving identification of Cedar Grove appears on the 1960 United States Geological Survey map of the Keenburg quadrangle. There, the name sits among the roads, hollows, farms, churches, cemeteries, and schools of eastern Sullivan County. Holston Point School, Crumley Cemetery, Mount Holston Church, Possum Creek, and the slopes leading toward Holston Mountain help define the community’s historic landscape.

Older maps show that the neighborhood existed long before cartographers printed Cedar Grove across it. A 1935 map recorded High Point School, Mount Holston School, Mount Holston Church, scattered residences, streams, and connecting roads in approximately the same area, but it did not label the settlement Cedar Grove. The community was already there. Its name had simply not yet entered the official map record.

To distinguish this settlement from another Cedar Grove in Sullivan County, it is useful to refer to it today as Cedar Grove East.

A Community Within Hickory Tree

Cedar Grove belonged to the larger geographical and cultural region known as Hickory Tree. The name Hickory Tree historically covered a broad rural section of southeastern Sullivan County beneath the western slopes of Holston Mountain and south of Bristol.

People living in the area could identify with several overlapping places at once. A family might have considered itself part of Cedar Grove, attended a church associated with Mount Holston, sent children to High Point School, received mail through Bluff City, and described the entire neighborhood as Hickory Tree.

That overlap helps explain why Cedar Grove can be difficult to trace. Rural community names did not always correspond with postal addresses, voting districts, school districts, or census divisions. A name could be common in conversation and church life without appearing in government indexes.

The 1935 Keenburg topographic map identified Hickory Tree as a settlement and showed High Point School and Mount Holston School nearby. It also recorded Mount Holston Church, Opossum Creek, Bullocks Hollow, Possum Hollow, and the network of minor roads that connected the scattered farmsteads. Cedar Grove was not yet printed on the map, but the institutions later associated with it were already established.

The Land Before Cedar Grove Was Named

Cedar Grove stood within one of Tennessee’s earliest regions of Euro-American settlement. Sullivan County was formally organized in 1780 after settlers had already begun moving into the Holston country during the 1760s and 1770s.

The Holston River and the early roads passing through Sullivan County made the region an important migration corridor. Families arriving from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and the Carolinas established farms along waterways and in the fertile valleys between the ridges. Agriculture remained central to Sullivan County’s economy throughout the nineteenth century, accompanied by gristmills, ironworks, sawmills, tanneries, and other small industries.

The country east and southeast of Bristol developed differently from the emerging cities. Instead of dense streets and industrial neighborhoods, communities formed around springs, creeks, churches, schools, family cemeteries, and road intersections. Cedar Grove grew from that rural pattern.

The western slopes of Holston Mountain created the community’s natural backdrop. Possum Creek and its smaller branches drained the surrounding hollows, while roads followed the more manageable ground between ridges. Farmhouses were dispersed rather than clustered around a town square.

This was a landscape where a schoolhouse or church could become the closest thing a neighborhood possessed to a public center.

Crumley Cemetery and the First Settlers

Crumley Cemetery provides one of the strongest links between Cedar Grove and the earlier settlement history of Hickory Tree.

A history compiled for the Crumley Cemetery Association in 1992 states that Isaac Vandevner owned property in Sullivan County’s Third Civil District near what was then called Island Mills and later became known as Hickory Tree. According to the cemetery record, Vandevner was the first person buried there in 1792.

The Crumley family later purchased the property, and the burial ground became a free cemetery for members of the family and surrounding neighborhood. The record identifies several early Crumley burials, including Daniel Crumley, born in 1766, George Crumley, born in Pennsylvania in 1769, and William Jacob Crumley, who lived from 1795 to 1865.

Other families represented in the cemetery include the Vance, Odell, Webb, Greene, Cornett, Boyd, Bowman, Cox, Riley, Cawood, Miller, Smith, Simerly, Jenkins, Nichols, Turner, Barnett, and Graybeal families. Together, these names reveal the extended kinship network that shaped the Cedar Grove and Hickory Tree neighborhoods across generations.

The cemetery was more than a family burial place. It became a shared community responsibility.

By 1952, vines, small trees, and other growth had overtaken portions of the property. Residents met at the home of the Reverend Carl R. Cox on May 1 to organize an association that would clean and maintain the cemetery. A second public meeting was held at Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church on May 12, 1952.

That meeting is especially important to the history of the community. Although the United States Geological Survey did not label Cedar Grove until the 1960 map, the cemetery association record shows that Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church was already known by that name in 1952. The place-name was therefore in documented local use at least eight years before it appeared on the Keenburg quadrangle.

The cemetery association included representatives connected with Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church, Mount Holston Baptist Church, and Holston Baptist Church. The organization continued holding annual memorial services, demonstrating how cemeteries, churches, and family networks bound the larger Hickory Tree community together.

High Point and Mount Holston Schools

Before school consolidation, children in the Cedar Grove area attended small neighborhood schools.

The 1935 Keenburg map shows both High Point School and Mount Holston School. Their locations reflected the practical needs of a rural population. Roads were less developed, transportation was slower, and many children walked considerable distances. Several small schools were therefore scattered across eastern Sullivan County rather than concentrated in one large building.

These schools served purposes beyond formal education. They were community gathering places where residents attended public meetings, political events, school programs, holiday celebrations, and agricultural activities.

A notice published in the Bristol Virginia-Tennessean in April 1952 announced a political meeting at High Point School to select delegates for the county Republican convention in Blountville. The announcement demonstrates that the schoolhouse functioned as an established civic center shortly before it was consolidated.

High Point and Mount Holston schools represented two smaller districts, but their students and families belonged to the same interconnected rural region. By the 1950s, Sullivan County officials were replacing many such buildings with larger consolidated schools that offered more rooms, better facilities, and broader educational programs.

The Creation of Holston Point School

In 1954, Sullivan County opened Holston Point School as the consolidated successor to High Point and Mount Holston schools.

The name Holston Point appears to have combined parts of the two older school names. “Holston” came from Mount Holston School, while “Point” preserved High Point. In this way, the new institution joined two communities without entirely erasing either identity.

The Bristol Virginia-Tennessean described Holston Point as a modern six-room brick school equipped with a cafetorium and library. Significantly, the newspaper placed the building in the Hickory Tree community. This description confirms that Cedar Grove and the school district surrounding it were generally understood as part of greater Hickory Tree.

For rural families accustomed to smaller schoolhouses, Holston Point represented a major change. The six classrooms allowed more students and grades to occupy one building. The library gave children access to books that would have been difficult to maintain in a small country school, while the cafetorium combined dining and assembly functions.

The consolidation also changed daily life. Instead of walking to the nearest neighborhood school, many students now depended on county transportation. The school bus became another connection between the scattered roads and hollows of Cedar Grove.

Holston Point quickly assumed the community functions once divided between High Point and Mount Holston.

In February 1955, the Bristol Virginia-Tennessean reported that the Holston Point School 4-H Club had met at the school. The newspaper described it as one of the newer clubs and noted the enthusiasm of its members. Through 4-H, local children participated in agriculture, homemaking, leadership, and community improvement activities closely tied to the rural economy.

A 1957 notice announced another community meeting at Holston Point School. By then, the building was clearly serving not only students but also the adults and organizations of the surrounding neighborhood.

In 1960, a Sullivan County precinct listing identified Holston Point School with District 3. The designation connected the school to the same civil district mentioned in the history of Crumley Cemetery and reinforced its role as a political as well as educational landmark.

Cedar Grove Appears on the Map

The 1960 Keenburg topographic survey provides the clearest official identification of Cedar Grove East.

Unlike the 1935 map, the later quadrangle printed “Cedar Grove” across the rural settlement. Holston Point School appeared nearby, fixing the community in relation to a well-documented public institution. The map also showed the surrounding terrain and local features, including Crumley Cemetery, Mount Holston Church, Possum Creek, neighboring hollows, residences, and connecting roads.

The map was based on conditions observed in 1960 and published by the United States Geological Survey in 1962 at a scale of 1:24,000. Cedar Grove was one of seven named settlements indexed on the quadrangle, alongside Biltmore, Hunter, Keenburg, Riverside, Silver Grove, and Walnut Grove. Holston Point School was also separately identified.

The difference between the two surveys is revealing. In 1935, cartographers recognized Hickory Tree, High Point School, Mount Holston School, and Mount Holston Church but not Cedar Grove. By 1960, the two older schools had disappeared from the map, Holston Point School had replaced them, and Cedar Grove had gained an official label.

The community’s name may have become more prominent through Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church, changing road usage, postal conventions, local reporting, or the survey information collected by federal mapmakers. The surviving records do not establish exactly when residents first began calling the neighborhood Cedar Grove.

They do show that the name was in local use by 1952 and officially mapped by 1960.

Churches at the Center of Community Life

Churches were among the most enduring institutions in Cedar Grove.

Mount Holston Church appeared on the 1935 map before Cedar Grove itself was labeled. A newspaper reference from 1959 used the fuller name Mount Holston Baptist Church, matching the congregation identified in the Crumley Cemetery Association records.

Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church gave the community another religious center and may have helped preserve the Cedar Grove name. Its use for the cemetery association meeting in 1952 shows that it possessed enough local importance to host public business.

Later obituary records continued identifying residents as members of Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church. Those notices connected the congregation with families living in the Bluff City, Bristol, Piney Flats, and surrounding Sullivan County area. The wide range of mailing addresses does not necessarily mean members lived outside Cedar Grove. Rural postal designations often covered communities whose local names differed from the address printed on an envelope.

The churches also shared responsibility for Crumley Cemetery. The cemetery association’s original trustees included men identified with Cedar Grove, Mount Holston, and Holston Baptist congregations. Their cooperation demonstrates that the boundaries between these communities were social and cultural rather than rigid.

A resident could worship in one neighborhood, attend school in another, farm land between them, and still belong to the greater Hickory Tree community.

Roads Through Cedar Grove

Roads shaped Cedar Grove as much as churches and schools did.

The early settlement pattern followed streams, hollows, and gaps where travel was possible. The 1935 map shows a web of minor roads connecting Hickory Tree, High Point School, Mount Holston School, Mount Holston Church, and the farmsteads below Holston Mountain. Few of those roads carried the standardized names familiar today.

State and county highway maps from 1938, 1969, and the 1980s allow the road network to be followed across the twentieth century. Later mapping connected the historic community with names such as Hickory Tree Road, Possum Creek Road, Hayes Road, Ryder Church Road, Mount Holston Road, and Bullock Hollow Road.

These names preserve fragments of the older landscape even when Cedar Grove is no longer prominent on modern maps. Possum Creek recalls the waterway shown near the settlement. Mount Holston Road carries the name of the mountain, school, and church. Hickory Tree Road preserves the larger community identity that often overshadowed Cedar Grove.

Road improvements also weakened some of the old neighborhood divisions. Automobiles and school buses made it easier to travel farther for education, worship, employment, and shopping. Residents were no longer as dependent upon the nearest schoolhouse, mill, church, or country store.

As distance became less restrictive, small place-names could disappear beneath larger postal and civic identities.

The Fading of the Cedar Grove Name

Cedar Grove did not vanish through a single dramatic event. There was no mine closure, flood, fire, or government removal that ended the community. Its identity faded gradually as the institutions that had defined rural life changed.

High Point and Mount Holston schools were consolidated into Holston Point. Later generations attended still larger schools elsewhere in the Sullivan County system. Local businesses and gathering places changed or closed. Improved roads connected the neighborhood more closely with Bristol, Bluff City, Piney Flats, and other communities.

Because Cedar Grove had never been incorporated, it had no municipal boundary to preserve its name. Census takers generally recorded residents by civil district or enumeration district. Postal addresses could identify them with Bluff City or Bristol. County documents might use Hickory Tree, Holston Point, or District 3 instead.

The evidence suggests that Cedar Grove survived longest through its church, its cemetery connections, and the memories of local families.

The name continued appearing in references to Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church decades after the 1960 map. Even when people no longer commonly described the entire neighborhood as Cedar Grove, the congregation carried the name forward.

Why Cedar Grove East Matters

Cedar Grove East represents thousands of Appalachian communities that existed without incorporation papers or clearly marked borders.

Its history is not found in a single town ledger. It must be reconstructed from topographic maps, school notices, cemetery records, church references, highway surveys, obituaries, election announcements, and the names of roads and families.

The 1935 map captures the community before Cedar Grove was officially labeled. High Point School, Mount Holston School, Mount Holston Church, and the scattered homes reveal an established rural neighborhood. The 1952 Crumley Cemetery records place Cedar Grove Freewill Baptist Church within that landscape. The opening of Holston Point School in 1954 shows the modernization and consolidation of rural education. The 1960 map finally gives Cedar Grove an official place on the page.

Together, these records show that a community does not begin when a mapmaker writes down its name, nor does it end when that name disappears from later maps.

Cedar Grove lived through the people who attended its schools, worshiped in its churches, maintained its cemetery, traveled its roads, and buried generations of family members beneath the slopes of Holston Mountain.

Remembering Cedar Grove East restores one small but meaningful part of Sullivan County’s Appalachian landscape.

Sources & Further Reading

United States Geological Survey. Keenburg, Tennessee. Topographic quadrangle. Washington, DC: United States Geological Survey, 1935. https://pastmaps.com/map/keenburg-sullivan-county-tn-usgs-topo-1935

United States Geological Survey. Keenburg, Tennessee. 7.5-minute topographic quadrangle. Washington, DC: United States Geological Survey, 1960, published 1962. https://pastmaps.com/map/keenburg-sullivan-county-tn-usgs-topo-1960-p1962

Tennessee State Highway Department. General Highway and Transportation Map, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Nashville: Tennessee State Highway Department, 1938. https://dc.etsu.edu/rare-maps/137/

Tennessee Department of Transportation. General Highway Map, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Nashville: Tennessee Department of Transportation, field data revised through 1985. https://dc.etsu.edu/rare-maps/38/

Crumley Cemetery Association. “Crumley Cemetery, 1792 to 1992.” Bristol Public Library Digital Archives, 1992. https://bristol-library.org/wp-content/uploads/Cemeteries.Crumley.pdf

“High Point and Mount Holston Schools.” Bristol Virginia-Tennessean, August 25, 1954. https://www.virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=BVT19540825.1.6

“Political Meeting at High Point School.” Bristol Virginia-Tennessean, April 30, 1952. https://www.virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=BVT19520430.1.3

“Holston Point School 4-H Club.” Bristol Virginia-Tennessean, February 22, 1955. https://www.virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=BVT19550222.1.6

“Holston Point School Community Meeting.” Bristol Virginia-Tennessean, July 24, 1957. https://www.virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=BVT19570724.1.2

“Sullivan County Precinct and School Listing.” Bristol Virginia-Tennessean, March 31, 1960. https://www.virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&d=BVT19600331.1.9

Bristol Public Library. “Digital Archives.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://bristol-library.org/digital-archives/

Bristol Public Library. “Genealogy and Local History.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://bristol-library.org/reference/genealogylocal-history/

East Tennessee State University. “Rare Maps Digital Collection.” Digital Commons at East Tennessee State University. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://dc.etsu.edu/rare-maps/

National Archives and Records Administration. “1950 Census Records for Sullivan County, Tennessee.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://1950census.archives.gov/search/?county=Sullivan&state=TN

National Archives and Records Administration. “1950 Census Enumeration District Maps.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.archives.gov/research/census/1950/ed-maps

Rivera, Alexis. “Fossil Mammals from Hickory Tree Cave, Sullivan County, Tennessee.” Master’s thesis, East Tennessee State University, 2022. https://dc.etsu.edu/etd/4131/

Semmer, Blythe. “Sullivan County.” Tennessee Encyclopedia. Tennessee Historical Society. Accessed August 4, 2026. https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/sullivan-county/

Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism. “Archives and Tourism.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sullivancountytn.gov/archives-and-tourism/

Sullivan County Department of Education. “Board of Education.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.sullivank12.net/board/

Sullivan County Register of Deeds. “Register of Deeds.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sullivancountytn.gov/register-of-deeds/

Sullivan County Property Assessor. “Property Assessor.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sullivancountytn.gov/property-assessor/

Taylor, Oliver. Historic Sullivan: A History of Sullivan County, Tennessee, with Brief Biographies of the Makers of History. Bristol, TN: King Printing Company, 1909. https://www.loc.gov/item/09025291/

Tennessee State Library and Archives. “Genealogical Fact Sheet: Sullivan County.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://sharetngov.tnsosfiles.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tsla/history/county/factsullivan.htm

Tennessee State Library and Archives. State Board of Education Records, 1815–1958. Nashville: Tennessee State Library and Archives. https://tsla.tnsosfiles.com.s3.amazonaws.com/history/state/recordgroups/findingaids/STATE_BOARD_OF_EDUCATION_RECORDS_1815-1958.pdf

Appalachian Regional Commission. “Appalachian Counties Served by ARC.” Accessed August 4, 2026. https://www.arc.gov/appalachian-counties-served-by-arc/

Author Note: Cedar Grove East survives not through a town charter or municipal records, but through maps, school notices, church history, cemetery records, and community memory. This article brings those scattered records together to preserve the story of a rural Sullivan County neighborhood beneath Holston Mountain.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top