Grant, Grayson County: From High Point Academy to the Goodwill Grange

Appalachian Community Histories – Grant, Grayson County: From High Point Academy to the Goodwill Grange

Grant is easy to miss on a modern map of Grayson County, Virginia. It never became a railroad town like nearby Troutdale, an industrial center like Fries, or a county seat like Independence. There was no great courthouse square or long row of commercial buildings to announce that a traveler had arrived. Grant developed instead in the older Appalachian pattern, around farms, family homes, a post office, schools, churches, stores, and roads that tied scattered households together.

Yet the surviving record shows that Grant was once much more recognizable as a community than its present appearance might suggest. Federal postal records place a post office there before the Civil War. By the beginning of the twentieth century, High Point Academy was educating more than one hundred students in a session. A 1911 business directory counted Grant as a village of eighty people and listed merchants and residents by name. Later came a substantial stone public school, a brick country store, and roadside businesses adapted to the automobile age. The documentary record identified in the surviving research is unusually strong for a small rural community.

Grant’s history is therefore not a story about a town that suddenly appeared and then vanished. It is the history of a rural Appalachian community whose center changed with each generation, from farms and postal routes to an academy, a public school, stores, churches, and eventually the highways that increasingly connected rural Grayson County to larger towns.

Before Grant Had a Post Office

People were living in the countryside that later became associated with Grant long before the community acquired a formal postal identity. The Grant Community Cemetery provides some of the clearest physical evidence. A detailed cemetery survey places the burial ground south of Troutdale in the Grant community and identifies the 1845 grave of Rosamond J. Thomas as apparently the oldest surviving grave there. Other nineteenth-century stones carry surnames that recur repeatedly in Grant’s later records, including Thomas, Greer, Grubb, Boyer, Porter, Young, and others.

These stones matter because rural Appalachian communities often existed socially before they existed bureaucratically. A settlement did not need incorporation, surveyed streets, or a municipal government to function as a recognizable place. Families could be connected through roads, churches, marriage, farming, schools, mills, and local trade for decades before the federal government gave their neighborhood a post office name.

The surviving architecture tells a similar story. Virginia’s statewide historic-resource survey identified the Calvin Thomas House at Grant as a substantial two-story frame dwelling dating from the 1870s. The same survey recorded the Hoffman House near Grant, built in 1896 for Dr. Charles Hoffman, a German immigrant and physician. These were not isolated architectural curiosities. They were part of a settled agricultural landscape in which prosperous farmers, professionals, merchants, and their neighbors created the community that later records called Grant.

The Grant Post Office Begins in 1860

The clearest documentary starting point for Grant as a named community comes from the United States Post Office Department.

A transcription made from National Archives postal records lists Hezekiah Perkins as postmaster at Grant beginning December 21, 1860. That date places Grant’s documented postal identity on the eve of the Civil War. Calvin V. Thomas became postmaster in December 1867. The office was discontinued on July 9, 1869, but the interruption was temporary. It was reestablished on May 5, 1871, with Shadrach M. Greer serving as postmaster.

The post office quickly became part of the geography of western Grayson County. When the older Big Meadows post office was discontinued in December 1866, its mail was directed to Grant, evidence that Grant already had importance beyond the handful of households immediately surrounding it. Over succeeding decades the postmastership passed among people with names deeply rooted in the community, including Greer, Young, McKee, Greear, Thomas, Parsons, Adams, McCarroll, Hoffman, Woods, and others.

A rural post office was more than a place to pick up letters. Before telephones and automobiles became common, it connected a mountain neighborhood with government offices, newspapers, relatives who had moved away, businesses, catalogs, political campaigns, and the broader country. Its presence also placed the name “Grant” on official records year after year.

The 1897 map of Grayson County prepared by S. M. Dickey and C. R. Boyd helps preserve the landscape of that period. The map was produced as a detailed land-ownership and geological representation of Grayson County, using information from surveys, railroad sources, and the authors’ own notes. Today copies are preserved by institutions including the Library of Congress and Virginia Tech, making it possible to examine the roads, landowners, waterways, and settlement patterns that surrounded communities like Grant at the end of the nineteenth century.

High Point Academy and an Educational Center in the Mountains

If the post office gave Grant an official name, High Point Academy gave the community one of its strongest institutions.

A surviving catalogue for the 1903 to 1904 session described High Point Academy as being situated at Grant, four miles from Troutdale and the railroad. The school’s own description called the surrounding country a rich agricultural and grazing district and argued that Grant possessed the population and community support needed to sustain a substantial educational institution.

The academy was far more ambitious than a simple one-room country school. Its faculty included principal N. E. Young, J. J. Watkins in the intermediate department, Maude Thomas in the primary department, Pearl Booker in music, and Hattie Walker in elocution and art. The advisory board included Dr. J. B. McKee, Cicero Plummer, Oscar Grubb, William Boyer, and Dr. W. J. McGinnis, all listed as residents of Grant.

Students could begin with spelling, reading, numbers, and penmanship before moving into Virginia and United States history, geography, grammar, arithmetic, physiology, algebra, Latin, rhetoric, geometry, literature, physics, French, surveying, and other advanced subjects. Music students could study piano, organ, violin, guitar, vocal music, harmony, and music theory. The academy also maintained literary societies in which students practiced debate, declamation, and recitation.

Perhaps the most revealing number in the catalogue is attendance. High Point Academy reported an average attendance of 116 during six months of the 1903 to 1904 session, with public and private terms together continuing for eight months. The following year’s program was expected to extend to nine months. Board and washing could cost between six and seven dollars and fifty cents per month, while academic tuition varied by level.

That attendance figure is remarkable when compared with the size of Grant itself. It shows that the academy served a countryside extending well beyond the immediate village. Children and young adults from farms throughout the surrounding region could come to Grant for an education more advanced than what many rural public schools were then able to offer.

The school also reflected the aspirations of the community that supported it. Its catalogue spoke openly about preparing students for college and argued that young people could receive serious instruction without being sent far away from home. In an isolated mountain region where transportation remained difficult, an academy at Grant allowed families to pursue advanced education while keeping their children connected to their home communities.

Grant in 1911

Eight years after the surviving High Point Academy catalogue, Hill’s Virginia Gazetteer and Classified Business Directory offered another unusually detailed snapshot of Grant.

The directory listed Grant with a population of eighty. It described the community as four miles from the railroad and fifteen miles from the county courthouse and identified Troutdale as its banking town. It then named residents including Mitchell Anderson, A. J. Greear, S. M. Greear, several members of the Grubb family, H. A. Hoffman, members of the McCarroll family, C. L. Parsons, S. C. Plummer, Charles B. Porter, John R. Pugh, members of the Ross and Thomas families, and Frank Young.

The same directory reveals a surprisingly active local commercial life. J. R. Cox, S. M. Greer & Son, Parsons & Grubbs, S. C. Plummer, A. J. Ross & Son, E. F. Ross, and A. J. Walls & Sons appear among Grant’s business listings. Grant residents also occupied positions in county life. A. J. Greear was listed as a magistrate, while Professor John Greear of Grant chaired the county Board of Health.

These details make Grant more tangible than a population figure alone ever could. It was a place where neighbors bought goods, collected mail, attended school, served in county offices, worshiped, visited physicians, and traveled to Troutdale for railroad and banking connections. Grant did not need hundreds of houses clustered together to function as a community center.

Its small population also helps explain why the academy mattered so much. High Point Academy’s average attendance of 116 in 1903 to 1904 exceeded the eighty people whom the 1911 directory later counted as living in Grant itself. The school was drawing from the surrounding countryside, turning a small rural settlement into an educational gathering place for a much larger population.

Church, Family, and Community Life

Religion formed another center of life around Grant. The Virginia Department of Historic Resources identified Mount Carmel Methodist Church near the community as an important example of rural church architecture. The present form of the church was built in 1911 by the firm of Daniels and Parson. Its frame construction, tower, pointed windows, interior woodwork, early pews, and other surviving details made it significant enough to be documented in the state’s professional survey of Grayson County architecture.

Grant’s houses, cemetery, academy records, postal appointments, and business directory repeatedly return to many of the same family names. Thomas, Greer and Greear, Grubb, Hoffman, McCarroll, Parsons, Plummer, Young, and others appear across different kinds of records. That repetition reveals something fundamental about the way such a place worked. Grant’s institutions were not detached from the people who lived around them. The same families who operated farms and businesses also provided postmasters, teachers, school trustees, church members, officials, and community leaders.

The Grant Community Cemetery preserves that network in another form. Calvin V. Thomas, who served as Grant postmaster in the 1860s, is buried there. The cemetery also contains generations of Hoffmans, Thomases, Grubbs, Greears, Youngs, Plummers, and others whose surnames appear throughout Grant’s documentary history. The burial ground is therefore not simply evidence of death. It is one of the strongest surviving records of the families who sustained the community.

Grant During the First World War

Grant’s identity as a recognized community continued into the First World War.

A contemporary history of Virginia Red Cross work recorded five Red Cross branches in Grayson County at Independence, Fries, Troutdale, Elk Creek, and Fox, along with six auxiliaries at Bridle Creek, Summerfield, Volney, Baywood, Grant, and Spring Valley. The county organization handled hundreds of home-service cases and worked to provide departing soldiers with comfort kits. Around 520 Christmas boxes were sent to soldiers and sailors in 1918.

Grant’s inclusion as a separate auxiliary is significant. Federal postal records, school documents, directories, and wartime organizational records all recognized it independently rather than treating every household in the area simply as part of Troutdale.

The war also demonstrates how rural communities became connected to national events. Men left Grayson County for military service while neighbors at home organized relief work, collected supplies, prepared packages, and corresponded with soldiers and their families. Grant’s wartime experience was small in scale compared with a city, but it was part of the same national mobilization.

From High Point Academy to Grant School

Education remained one of Grant’s defining features long after the High Point Academy era.

By the 1930s, public education throughout Virginia was undergoing consolidation. Small one-room and two-room schools were increasingly replaced with larger buildings that could serve wider districts. Grayson’s difficult mountain geography and limited financial resources slowed that process in some places, but the county nevertheless constructed several substantial rural schools during the decade.

Grant received one of them in 1934.

The Virginia Department of Historic Resources describes Grant School as a one-story, four-room building constructed of local stone. Its design included an arched recessed porch, banks of large windows, a concrete foundation, and a metal roof. State surveyors regarded it as a good example of the first generation of consolidated schools in Grayson County.

The difference between the old academy and the 1934 school marks an important change in rural Appalachian education. High Point Academy had combined public and private instruction and charged tuition for portions of its program. Grant School belonged to an era in which local and state governments were assuming a larger role in providing standardized public education and constructing purpose-built schools for rural children.

Still, the basic function remained familiar. Grant continued to be a place where children from farms scattered across the surrounding mountains gathered for education.

The building has survived. Today the old Grant School is associated with Goodwill Grange #959, an agricultural and community organization established in 1959. Grayson County’s tourism office describes the Grange as occupying the former rock Grant School building, where community activities have continued long after its original educational purpose ended.

Stores, Automobiles, and a Changing Grant

The 1930s also changed the way people traveled through Grayson County. Roads improved, automobiles became increasingly important, and older crossroads stores began sharing the landscape with buildings designed specifically for motorists.

Grant preserves evidence of both worlds.

The Hoffman Store was built in 1936. The Virginia Department of Historic Resources recorded it as a substantial two-story brick commercial building with a storage wing and a storefront entrance flanked by windows. The date and name stone on the building provided the survey with unusually direct evidence of its construction year.

Nearby, Green Gables Service Station represented the automobile age even more clearly. The state architectural survey dated the station to about 1930 and described it as an unusually elaborate Tudor Revival roadside building intended to attract the attention of passing motorists. Its red brick walls, yellow brick trim, steep roof, and other decorative elements made it considerably more stylish than a purely utilitarian gasoline stop.

Together the store, service station, and school show that Grant had not simply faded after the academy years. Its physical center was being rebuilt for a new generation. The post office still operated, children attended a new public school, residents shopped at a brick store, and motorists increasingly passed through a landscape that had once been organized primarily around horses, wagons, farms, and distant railroad depots.

The Post Office Closes

Grant’s post office survived longer than many of the institutions that had defined rural communities in the nineteenth century.

John W. Woods became postmaster in 1934, followed by Grover F. Thomas in 1942, Mrs. Bess W. Thomas in 1950, and Don Halsey Young in 1951. The office finally closed on February 22, 1968. Afterward, the postal record directed Grant’s mail to Troutdale.

The closing ended more than a century of documented postal service dating back to Hezekiah Perkins’s appointment in December 1860, except for the short interruption between 1869 and 1871.

That change was part of a broader transformation taking place throughout rural Appalachia. Improved roads and automobiles shortened distances that had once made a neighborhood post office essential. School consolidation drew children into larger systems. Shopping increasingly shifted toward towns with more stores and services. Rural delivery allowed addresses to survive even when individual country post offices disappeared.

The name Grant, however, did not disappear with its postal cancellation.

The cemetery remained Grant Community Cemetery. The old school became the Goodwill Grange building. State architectural historians continued to identify Grant when recording houses, churches, stores, and roadside structures. Local residents continued to understand the name even when postal maps gave Troutdale greater prominence. The physical and documentary landscape preserved the older community boundaries long after the federal government stopped sorting mail under the Grant name.

What Remains of Grant

Grant’s history is valuable precisely because it was never a large place.

Thousands of Appalachian communities developed without incorporation and without ever becoming cities or even substantial towns. Their histories are more difficult to recover because they rarely produced municipal records, newspapers, or large collections of photographs. Instead their stories have to be reconstructed from postal appointments, school catalogues, census schedules, land deeds, cemeteries, directories, maps, churches, stores, houses, and the memories of the people who lived there.

Grant has an unusually rich collection of those fragments.

The 1845 grave in the community cemetery reaches back to a generation before the Grant post office existed. The 1860 postal appointment establishes the community name before the Civil War. High Point Academy reveals an ambitious educational center at the beginning of the twentieth century. Hill’s 1911 directory freezes the village at a population of eighty and gives names to the people who operated its businesses and institutions. The Red Cross record places Grant within the mobilization of the First World War. Grant School, the Hoffman Store, and Green Gables Service Station trace the community’s transition into the age of public-school consolidation and automobiles. Finally, the closing of the post office in 1968 marks the end of one kind of rural community organization without marking the end of Grant itself.

Grant may no longer appear prominently on maps, but the historical record makes clear that it once stood at the center of a network of farms and families in western Grayson County. Children came there to study, residents came for mail and merchandise, families gathered at churches and cemeteries, and generations recognized the name as their home.

Places like Grant remind us that Appalachian history was not made only in county seats, mining towns, factories, and railroad centers. Much of it unfolded at rural crossroads where a school, a store, a post office, and a few familiar family names were enough to create a community that lasted for generations.

Sources & Further Reading

National Archives and Records Administration. Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1832–September 30, 1971. Microfilm Publication M841, Record Group 28, Records of the Post Office Department. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration. https://www.archives.gov/research/post-offices/postmasters-1832-1971.html

Grayson County Virginia Heritage Foundation. “Grayson County, Virginia Post Offices and Postmasters.” New River Notes. Transcription of U.S. Post Office Department records, including Grant postmasters and the 1968 discontinuance of the Grant post office. https://www.newrivernotes.com/grayson-postmasters-1823/

High Point Academy. Catalogue of High Point Academy, Session 1903–1904, with Announcement for 1904–1905. Grant, VA, 1904. Transcribed by New River Notes and the Grayson County Virginia Heritage Foundation. https://www.newrivernotes.com/high-point-academy-1903-1905/

Hill Directory Company. Hill’s Virginia Gazetteer and Classified Business Directory, 1911. Richmond, VA: Hill Directory Company, 1911. Grayson County and Grant entries transcribed by New River Notes. https://www.newrivernotes.com/grayson-hills-gazetteer-1911/

Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 232. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1904. https://pubs.usgs.gov/publication/b232

Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 232. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1904. Grant entry, p. 67. https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0232/report.pdf

Dickey, S. M., and C. R. Boyd. Map of Grayson County, Virginia. 1897. Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, Washington, DC. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012589206/

Worsham, Gibson. A Survey of Historic Architecture in Grayson County, Virginia. Richmond: Virginia Department of Historic Resources, 2002. https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/pdf_files/SpecialCollections/GY-029_AH_Survey_Grayson_County_2002_WORSHAM_report_TEXT.pdf

Library of Virginia. “Grayson County Microfilm.” County and City Records, Richmond, Virginia. Includes deed books, wills, marriage registers, birth and death registers, road records, court records, and other Grayson County primary sources. https://www.lva.virginia.gov/collections/ccmf/VA/VA105

Library of Virginia. “Grayson County Chancery Causes, 1795–1930.” Chancery Records Index. Digital images available for much of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. https://www.lva.virginia.gov/chancery/available.asp

Grayson County Virginia Heritage Foundation. “Grant Community Cemetery.” New River Notes. Cemetery survey and transcription, Grant, Grayson County, Virginia. https://www.newrivernotes.com/grant-community-cemetery/

Devereux, Robert Eddins, and G. W. Patteson. Soil Survey of Grayson County, Virginia. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934. https://www.newrivernotes.com/grayson-soil-survey-1930/

Nuckolls, Benjamin Floyd. Pioneer Settlers of Grayson County, Virginia. Bristol, TN: King Printing Company, 1914. https://www.loc.gov/item/15019440/

Chataigne, J. H. Chataigne’s Virginia Gazetteer and Classified Business Directory, 1888–1889. Richmond, VA: J. H. Chataigne, 1888. Grayson County section transcribed by New River Notes. https://www.newrivernotes.com/chataignes-virginia-gazetteer-1888-1889/

U.S. Geological Survey. Trout Dale, Virginia. 7.5-Minute Historical Topographic Quadrangle. Washington, DC: U.S. Geological Survey, 1935. https://store.usgs.gov/product/263199

Grayson County Tourism. “The Historic Goodwill Grange Hall.” Visit Grayson County Virginia. Documents Goodwill Grange #959 and its occupancy of the former Grant School building. https://www.graysoncountyva.com/business/the-historic-goodwill-grange-hall/

Grayson County Virginia Heritage Foundation. “Virginia Communities in War Time.” New River Notes. Includes Grayson County Red Cross organization and Grant’s auxiliary during World War I. https://www.newrivernotes.com/ww1-virginia-communities-inwartime/

Virginia General Assembly. “An Act to Repeal an Act Entitled an Act to Incorporate High Point Academy, in Grayson County.” Acts and Joint Resolutions of the General Assembly of Virginia, 1902–1903. Digitized through Modeling the Rights of Children in Jim Crow Virginia. https://modelingjimcrow.virginia.edu/browse/subjects/education?page=9

Author Note: Grant is one of those Appalachian communities whose importance is much easier to see in old records than on a modern map. I wanted to bring together its post office, schools, businesses, churches, families, and surviving landmarks to show how much history can remain in a small mountain community.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top